Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cologne Revisited

Maybe I didn't give Cologne enough credit.

COLOGNE, GERMANY.

After I've reached my destination via train track--- I meet this Canadian fellow... we check in at the same hotel.  My phone's gone all haywire.  We promise to reunite for an evening of expedition.  That's what it is.  When I first get there, it's fresh and new.  There's a gothic cathedral, big as fuck, land-marked in the center of town.  I never enter it...go figures...but, I watch it from far away, never up close--- which seems odd at this very moment.  Peculiar!  Why didn't I enter (or, at the very least, walk  to the base and touch the gravel stone?).......

But.... alas! I never approached the gothic thing... just peered from afar, gasping at its darkness.

So, I book a room in this somewhat ritzy town,,, lots of chain-stores and accordions and this eery cathedral... GIANT.  The size is shocking.

So, I book a room.  I purchase a cute little bottle of wine.  First, I walk 2 miles, searching for a grocery store.  I find one inside of a German mall, with chocolate shops and shoe stores.  I buy a small red wine... a screw top.  I return to my room: a bed, a mini fridge, a marble bathroom.  I roll a joint.  I light up a joint (weed supplied from good old Amsterdam) and drink my petite bottle.

Canadian knocks on my hotel door.  I answer....buzzed from a mini-bottle and a small joint.  We walk.  There's a concert.  We eat kabab.  We meet four German blonde girls.  We all go dancing at a club.  Lots of techno.  Lots of beer.  We dance like robots (my specialty).  I'm a hit.

I walk back alone.  I stop at McDonalds.  I eat a fish fillet.  I look for the giant cathedral.  I get hassled by two tacky German guys with frosted hair.  I find my hotel (right next to the giant cathedral).  I pee my pants.  I pass out.  I wake up.  I've lost my wallet.  I freak out.  The Canadian knocks on my hotel door... gives me 20 euros.  I search for my wallet.  I retrace my steps... back to the concert... back to McDonalds.  No such luck...free CocaCola.  A car is turned over.  I give up.  I buy a night at a shitty hostel.  I smoke another joint in a parking lot...it's raining.  I cry.  A guy drops a gun.  I cry some more.  I hate Cologne.

No comments:

Post a Comment