Monday, December 27, 2010

Downward Facing Dog

Yoga class and the smell of feet and the sound of deep inhales and OMs.  I like it because there's a studio, jam-packed with pretty girls and mid-life crisis men who can't stretch too far.  That's not why I like it, but it helps.  And the music too--- new agey riffs with lots of xylophone and keyboard.  You escape from the aesthetics: the organic spandex, the vegans, the out-of-date boom box vibrating on the floor... and you just breathe and stretch and the brick wall is ahead of you, but beyond that brick and mortar is space that continues indefinitely.

Yeah, the spirituality is a bit surface, but it's well-intentioned and you can't really complain.  And after an hour and a half of downward dog and plank position, colors are a little brighter and, at least for the moment, everything is aligned.

So, I'm on a mission...
I'm seeking balance.  New Balance; I own a pair with inserts because I walk on the outsides of my feet and there's no balance otherwise.  But, balance can be attained if a sturdy ground is laid.  And, I plan to investigate this further.

You put your hands to your heart and bow your head and breathe Namaste.

1 comment: